Wednesday, August 17, 2011

You all know how fond I am of a list...

...so here's a few I've been keeping.

Things I missed about home (other than family and friends of course):
  • Fruchocs
  • Tim tams
  • Allen’s lollies (they're a better kind of chewy than the Haribo gummy bear type lollies that abound in Europe)
  • The buzz of a newsroom, after work drinks, work freebies and events
  • Heading out before midnight!
  • Wine tours and nice wine (I think I’d forgotten the difference and for a while there was subsisting on 3 euro bottles and exclaiming that everything was just “very drinkable”)
  • A nice shower in a clean bathroom
  • A proper mattress and pillow... on a a bed bigger than a kiddy bunk
  • Windows with bug screens
  • Fan heaters
  • A couch!! In a living room
  • Watching AFL
  • My car (but only every now and again - like when it was freezing or raining, although having said that you didn't need to scrape frost off a bike's windscreen and it always started in the morning!)
  • Sea  water and the sound of the beach (even in winter)
  • Living 5 minutes from my boyfriend
  • Cheaper public transport
  • Eavesdropping! (although my Dutch reached a level just before I left where I could listen in on the odd conversation going on around me)
  • Confidence in brand names and being able to ask for advice when shopping
  • Philli cheese in blocks (they only sell it in tubs in Maastricht)
  • Copperpot Houmus (I finally found a brand of houmus mildly as good in Jumbo and like 3 weeks later they discontinued it!!!)
  • Haighs (clearly - within days of getting back to Adelaide I went in and bought a bag full of all my favourite flavoured chocolates)
  • Waking up and its 30C (instead of minus something degrees)
  • Swish dancing (although there was an abundance of 90s music played at random Dutch pubs its just wasn't the same)
  • Beer weather
  • Getting dressed up (nobody does that in Maastricth, the hoodie is the official uniform of most evenings)

Things I miss about Maas:
  • Stroppwaffels and stroopwafel mcflurries (although I've found a place in the central markets that sells "syrup wafels" imported from the Netherlands and I'm going to recreate a strropwafel McFluffy by ordering a caramel sundae and adding the crushed biscuits)
  • Gouda cheese from the supermarket (it was the cheapest brand, like Balck&Gold here and it was the smoothest, tastiest, meltiest cheese ever)
  • The crazy gusthouse cleaning lady yelling “CLEANING!” as she comes in at 8am on a Thursday morning
  • Dutch ads (they’re hilarious even if you can't understand them, in fact... they're probably hilarious because you can't understand them)
  • Dutch subtitles (good for practice)
  • My roomies
  • Sitting on the Vrijtof drinking beers in the sun, eating bitterballen ... or sitting on Emma's balcony drinking Pimms eating chips!
  • Biking (most of the time - I really need to get my bike sorted here but its a kind of mountain bike thing and I miss the nice bikes with pretty handle bars!)
  • Being able to just wander down the corridor and be at a friend’s place
  • Living in a TRULY 20 minute city, which Adelaide no longer is
  • Having a common room at uni where people play musical intstruments and stage plays with bananas as guns... just because
  • Studying crazy stuff like Theorising Terrorism and analysing Aqua songs for assignments
  • Being surrounded by well-informed people who debate politics over pizza
  • My new friends :'(
  • Being able to pop over to another country for the weekend!
  • Authentic pubs that are small, with dark wood and cool bartenders (not the huge modern things we have here which can get a bit sterile)
  • Communist dinners (the sharing of ingredients among guesthousers)
  • Cycling as a posse on a night out
  • The choice of beer (Belgian, Dutch, German ... fruit, white, dark...)

Things I don’t miss about Maas:
  • Cobble stones and resultant bingo wings (this one's for you Katie!)
  • Cycling up the steep cobble street out of the city (I will never forget the dread of that street as long as I live)
  • Getting letters in languages I can’t understand!
  • The banking systemSchizophrenic weather (13C one day, 30C the next, raining the day after)
  • Being able to hear a pin drop from everywhere in our tiny flat
  • The teeny tiny bathroom and crappy shower, and generally no fans in European bathrooms
  • Worrying one of the little neighbourhood punks is going to puke in the guesthouse entrance again
  • Getting soaked on the bike
  • The dread of being ONE minute late for a class at UCM
  • Lack of wine choices in Jumbo
  • Working out time differences
  • Television shows being interrupted for adbreaks at the stupidest times (like mid sentence) or the intervals at the cinema!
Things I didn’t expect back home
  • Stripper heels and fur-trimmed vests are fashionable now
  • Lunch for 2 cost $62!!
  • Stamps are now 60c
  • Bus route names have changed but the routes are still the same!
  • How much I would mind not having a car
  • How much I would be bothered by not having a job for a while
  • How unenthused I would be by uni back home
  • How much I would appreciate having a dishwasher again
  • The sunny winter weather (I think I luckily missed the worst of the winter here)
  • To feel as though I've been back for SO long when I've only been back a month at this stage
  • The odd feeling like the whole exchange almost didn't happen - its really hard to get my head around the fact that I was there and now I'm here but other people are still there... or elsewhere ... if that makes any sense!


No comments:

Post a Comment